Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore


I've tried to read Moore before (that rhymes) and had felt her writing to be quite dark, if I remember correctly. This book, however, was a smooth read - some dark, yes, but not so much that it feels overshadowed. Her writing is brilliant, and quite obscure.

"Tassie Keltjin, the daughter of a gentleman farmer, has come to a university town as a student. When at twenty she takes a job as a part-time nanny for a glamorous and mysterious family, she finds herself drawn deeper into their world and forever changed."

Rich, layered, her descriptions quite colorful and odd - I loved this book, and I only wish she had gone deeper into the characters. What seemed like unimportant persons in the book turned out to be integral to the main character. And the ending, too quick. I definitely recommend this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment